1. Composition balls will be used. (suggested size, 4 and a quarter inches in diameter
and 2 pounds in weight)
2. The coin toss will decide the starting team and the color of the balls.
3. The starting team will toss the pallino past the red “in-play line” and cannot
touch the back wall. Failure to do so, the opponents will then toss the pallino
past the red “in- play line” and the starting team begins play.
4. If the pallino is diverted, hit anywhere in the alley, hits the backboard, the
sideboards or returns in the playing area, it is still in play.
5. If the pallino is diverted outside the alley or bounces back past the alley’s
“in-play line”, play is terminated and the first lead player resumes play from
the opposite side.
6. If, after a valid play only the pallino remains on the court, the team that last
played must play again.
7. If a ball touches the backboard, without first hitting another ball or the pallino,
the ball is out of play and removed from the alley.
8. A ball that does not touch another ball and returns from the backboard into the
field of play and strikes another ball and/or the pallino, the thrown ball is
out of play and the pallino and/or other balls are placed to their approximate
9. The players should not step over the foul line before releasing the pallino or
10. Players may use the side boards at any time.
11. The tournament host will decide on the number of points needed to win a match.
12. All players must remain outside of the court while the opposing team is playing.
13. In a tournament where substitutes are allowed, a team may make one substitute
from their registration list per game. Once a player has been removed from the
game, the said player cannot re-enter the same game.
14. Volo shooting is lofting the ball in the air beyond the centerline of the court.
Volo shooting is not allowed.
15. In the case of a tie between two balls, the prevailing (or first ball) has to
be beaten. If there are no more balls left, the frame ends in a tie with no
points being awarded and the original leadoff team resumes play at the opposite
end of the court.
16. A ball played out of turn shall remain in place at the discretion of the opposite
team captain. If the ball is returned, all balls that were moved are returned
to their original places.
17. A team can measure any ball at any time.
18. In the event a ball is moved during measurement by an official, the ball is returned
to the approximate position. If however, a currently playing team member moves
the ball during a measurement, the point is awarded to the opposing team.
19. One team member can cross the centerline to measure balls.
20. Any dispute will be resolved by the tournament committee.
(approved by the Idaho Bocce Ball Club, July 27, 2010)